Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Child Who Hates Math

I am honestly very much like the child who says, "I hate math! I'm not good at math, and I never will be!" I went through early elementary doing well in math. It wasn't until those darn multiplication tables in 3rd grade that I made my first ever C on my report card. Ever since that experience, I had a bad feeling toward math. I continued through middle school struggling somewhat, but not too much. I loved my pre-algebra class in 8th grade. Then came the real algebra, and I hated math all over again. I've thought about these experiences and how they are similar, and I realized something. In 3rd grade and high school algebra, the classes were so fast paced that I couldn't always keep up and I would often get behind. I was too intimidated to ask for help because I thought my teachers and peers would think I was an idiot for asking something that maybe everyone else understood. In 8th grade when I enjoyed pre-algebra, it was because my teacher had us practice and practice until we knew how to correctly complete each concept. This is what I needed.. a slow paced class that was focused on the success of each student.
I think many students have this same experience in school with a variety of subjects. If we want our students to learn, we have to get over the fact that we have so much to teach and so little time. For me, it would be better to make sure I did everything in my power to see my students succeed than to cover all the information I'm expected to cover. I know not everyone will agree with that statement, but I honestly believe that that quality is better than quantity in education.

1 comment:

  1. I love what you said... "quality is better than quantity in education". As teachers, we need to be coninutally monitering each of our students to make sure no one is falling behind in any lesson. If we see the majority of the students are, we can adapt our lessons and teach the same thing angain in another way. If we notice only one or two students aren't quite getting it, we can give them extra help.

    ReplyDelete